Friday, August 8, 2008

Reflections on What I'm watching on DVD

The Closer, Season 1 Disc 1

Good to see Kyra Sedgewick again. I remember her from the Laroquette show. Good to see a 40+ woman in the lead. Best moment so far: "If I enjoyed being called a bitch to my face, I'd still be married." Worst moment: At the end of the first episode, she puts on cocktail dress, then collapses on her bed eating a Ring Ding and moaning (its the dress that's inauthentic).

Birds of Prey

I never even heard of this when it was being aired. Released to coincide with "Dark Knight" in theatres, it was apparently a little noticed tv show about the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, aka Huntress, and a semi-retired Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) after she was paralyzed by the Joker. On the plus side, it gets the world of the comic book right (there are references to the three former Robins at one point), and the main villian is a blonde psychoanalyst playing Sharon Stone crazy, and good "atmosphere." On the downside: Clunky dialogue (i.e., villains who explicate their thinking for the hero), a pretty girl playing "Huntress" with very, very limited acting chops. Also, her shtick is that she dresses as a prostitute while on patrol to blend in with the underworld. Only she doesn't. She dresses like an actress, which is to say, she doesn't look like the character or like a real person. I may not watch the next two discs.

The Wire, Season 4, Disc 1.

TV bliss. The best television show ever? Maybe. We'll know more in about 3 years. (I would have said that about Hill Street Blues once).

No comments: